Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2010
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    since I am rebuilding my A7 with the 806 driver and 811 horn I was wondering if anyone has converted their system into a three way adding a good ribbon or cone tweeter,,

    I will dampen (ringing) the horn in my rework but still like the sound of a good tweeter for those highs in the 10K and above,,


    thanks

    Derry

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    I'm working on something like that now, only with a pair of A7-500WII Magnificents. It should be easier with an A7 & the top mounted horn. I'm using an 802-8G with a 604 Mantaray, along with the Alnico 515-8LF's & 288-8G/511E's, and mounting it inside the cab is, well, trying my patience in getting effective placement.
    The passive crossovers from the 9861's would work quite nicely (1200hz & 8000hz).
    Let me clarify. The 515-8LF's & 288-8G/511E's have been in there for 30 years & mounted with no mods. It's mounting the 802 & baby Ray, that is causing a little difficulty.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    Decades ago I experimented with super tweeters, though it takes horn loaded ones to keep up with an A7. With youthful hearing and no digital delay available though, I ultimately didn't use them, instead doing some major tweaks to the 511s to improve their HF response and accepted their relatively narrow 'sweet spot'.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    I have, kinda, sorta.

    Have run the tweeter of the 604 coax as the 3rd way. Have also used various horn tweeters - Foster, Selenium, Pioneer, etc. Right now I'm getting a pair of Fane bullet tweets. Very similar to the JBL 2404

    So it can be done. Adds a little sparkle to the top. But with a good 802 driver and 811 horn, you hardly need them.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member twilightlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    I have, kinda, sorta.

    Have run the tweeter of the 604 coax as the 3rd way. Have also used various horn tweeters - Foster, Selenium, Pioneer, etc. Right now I'm getting a pair of Fane bullet tweets. Very similar to the JBL 2404

    So it can be done. Adds a little sparkle to the top. But with a good 802 driver and 811 horn, you hardly need them.
    Yeah, same here:snickerpup:

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7

    Sort of. My avatar is the result. All Selenium drivers on Altec box and horns.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    A few decades ago, I added JBL slot tweeters (077) 2405 to a pair of VOTT Velencias and never looked back. These were crossed at 8K.

    ...this was a very good upgrade as the 806s on an 811 horn tend to roll off above 12K.

    The tricky part with adding tweeters is getting a very high quality component and matching the sensativities to the other drivers as close as possible. Obviously, 3-way crossovers are needed too.

    The other more viable, option for you might be to consider keeping it 2-way system and just upgrade to the Altec 902 HF drivers which have much better UHF extension. The 902s would be a direct bolt-on mod and crossover mods are not necessary, I suppose.

    Either way, you will be pleasantly surprised.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    Aurum Cantus G1 ribbons, 103db w/m (iirc).

    (*...see post in classifieds section.)

    Dispersion was narrow in the vertical when oriented normally, as was expected.

    After settling on stacked 828 cabs, it was not as easy to experiment with placement as previously was. Other mods then took precedence over any attempt at some alternate (physical) integration. So I guess what I am saying is 'eh'. I may try them again at a later date, but at that time was / at this time am ...not compelled to keep them hooked up for continued experimentation.

    (echoing some of GM's sentiments)
    ...if you are unsure of your dispersion needs, or suspect already that the listening position may be too close... I'd get some cheap horn loaded/cd $30 beyma's or something to tinker with before any serious outlay.

    (come to think of it, I think I have some of those for sale as well ;-) )

    * Edit, the 828's are 2way with 288's ( -> ~14k)

    * Edit #2 A previous arrangement, with 'stacked' (mounted) 511b's with 808-8A + 902-(16a) triamped, was pretty good.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    Perhaps also worth checking old guy's other recent post...

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...g-fleabay.html

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: anyone make a three way out of an A7,,

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    ...I'm using an 802-8G with a 604 Mantaray...
    Hi Dave,

    How are you dealing with the 7/8" horn on the 1" driver?... reamed out?... not an issue?...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.